Tuesday 9 June 2009

The green man lives!

Heres my completed section of stop motion.


I did the shoot using a DSLR for the main stills and also had a mini dv camera for low resolution video feed. As I didn't have enough lighting I had to set the dslr to a slow shutter-speed to allow more light in and the whole shoot suffers from light flicker.
Also as the shoot could only be done very late at night, I think it suffers from me getting really tired half way through. But I will just have to take that as learning process.

I think the light flicker actually works within the context of the brief as it is a mistake in animation, and a very common mistake in amateur stop motion.

I am quite pleased with the first half of the animation, up until he turns around. I didn't use reference for the action. I acted it out as I was animating, which I found to be very helpful as I could also feel how the movement was going to go.

I thought it would be interesting for you too see the video feed footage as well as it makes it look like a different shoot. I almost prefer this footage instead of the high res footage and would of used it but it is very low quality and would of proved hard for chroma keying.


2 comments:

  1. Good idea to use a video feed as well as the DSLR, it's a good, cheap alternative to getting a hd camera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lauren. Tis just what most stop motion peeps capture with to be honest. You can get Dslr's with live view but most the time the camera's cost £600 an up x

    ReplyDelete